Greek Courgette & Feta Pie
This is a recipe by Sarah Raven and one of my staple recipes once courgette season gets in full swing! A great way to use up A LOT of courgettes and it's like by all of the family which is always a bonus. It's lovely with a salad and just as good cold the next day.
:: 1kg (yes a whole kilo!) courgettes :: salt :: 1 large onion finely chopped :: 4 spring onions :: 150ml olive oil :: 1 pack filo pastry :: 300g feta cheese :: 3 eggs :: 120ml double cream :: small bunch of dill :: small bunch of parsley :: mint leaves stripped from 2-3 stems :: milk for glazing :: sesame seeds for scattering ::
- Grate the courgettes and salt them allowing them to drain for 30 minutes
- Squeeze out the excess juice
- Fry both types of onions in a little of the olive oil until soft and then add the courgettes
- Fry them together gently for 15 minutes until all the excess liquid evaporates
- Pre heat the oven to 200 deg C
- Separate out 6 sheets of filo pastry and brush them with oil on both sides
- Place 3 sheets in the base of a 30x40cm oven tray, one oiled sheet on top of the next
- Pour in the courgette mixture and crumble feta over it.
- Beat the eggs and cream together and drizzle them on top
- Add the herbs, pepper and salt and fork the cheese and egg mixture lightly into the courgettes
- Fold in the filo sheets enclosing the courgette mix and brush with oil.
- Place another oiled filo sheet and repeat with 2 more sheets
- Tuck around the edges and snip off any excess
- Glaze the pie with a little milk and scatter sesame seeds over the top
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork
- Place the pie into the oven and cook for about an hour
- The pie should move freely from the sides of the pan. Remove from the pan when the pie is set and the pastry is golden
- Put a tea towel over the top and leave it to cool for half an hour before you eat